Friday, November 9, 2007

A letter of thanks to Radley Balko

[I sent this to Mr. Balko after donating money to help him continue his work.]

I think what you're doing is really important. I can't say enough good things about what you've done on the Cory Maye case and exposing that coroner in Mississippi.

I'm frightened by what government has become, and by what we have allowed it to become. As Nock wrote, "It is interesting to observe that in the year 1935 the average individual's incurious attitude towards the phenomenon of the State is precisely what his attitude was towards the phenomenon of the Church in the year, say, 1500."

In trying to change this state of affairs, we face an almost insurmountable problem, on the scale of the black thing in L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time.

Donating money to your site makes me feel like I'm not going quite so quietly into that good night. No matter what happens in the end, I'll sleep a little bit better knowing I raged against the dying of the light in my own small way.

No comments: